Fred 3HC banner 1912-1999

It was 1929 and after studying his code and theory that Museum founder Fred Hammond could hardly wait for his 16th birthday so he could visit the Department of Marine and Fisheries and write his Amateur Radio exam. VE3HC 1933

Fred passed the exam with flying colors and received the call sign VE3HC which, other than a brief interruption during the war years, he has kept in continuous operation.

Fred's built his first station using 201's modulated with a pair of 71’s enough to radiate a few watts of power on 80 metres from his parents home on College Avenue in Guelph. Later he was heard around the world on 20 as well as 75 with a pair of 800's modulating another pair of 800's.

Fred was an early pioneer with mechanical TV that became the rage in the early 30's and watched the TV broadcast from the Empire State Building on approx 15 MHz using the flying-spot-scanner receiver at the Museum.  

VE3BJ memorial stationToday,  in memory of Fred, VE3HC is  operated from the Hammond Museum of Radio by visiting Radio Amateurs.

Amateur Station VE3BJ maintains the memory of Bill Kent who went on the air from Toronto in 1908 making Bill one of our earliest radio pioneers. Bill was employee #1 at the Radio Valve Company.

This fully equipped station provides equipment to allow simultaneous operation on up to 4 bands operating a full 2kw PEP on each band. Antennas range from dipoles to 5 element full size beams.

To arrange for a tour, or for more information please click here.

We QSL 100% via the bureau
or Direct with SASE

  [ Top ]

Last updated February 10, 2004

1998 - 2004 Hammond Museum of Radio

Web space courtesy of Information Gateway Services
Kitchener-Waterloo

8401